Credits

myWeb-Blog Designs

Friday, December 19, 2008

Fruit or Vegetable?




Is tomato a fruit or vegetable? You probably wonder why I ask this question. Well, I was just intrigue since some people claims that tomato is a fruit. But, I don’t think tomato is really a fruit. For me, it belongs to vegetable family. That’s the reason I research online to get some answers to this question. And, guess what? I’m confused right now. According to Wikipedia, Botanically, a tomato is the ovary, together with its seeds, of a flowering plant: therefore it is a fruit or, more precisely, a berry. However, the tomato is not as sweet as those foodstuffs usually called fruits and, from a culinary standpoint, it is typically served as part of a salad or main course of a meal, as are vegetables, rather than at dessert in the case of most fruits. This argument has had legal implications in the United States. In 1887, U.S. tariff laws that imposed a duty on vegetables but not on fruits caused the tomato’s status to become a matter of legal importance. The U.S Supreme Court settled the controversy in 1893 by declaring that the tomato is a vegetable, based on the popular definition that classifies vegetables by use, that they are generally served with dinner and not dessert. I was thinking with this before I read all the articles. And, I think my opinion is right. My husband and I argued about this. Until now, he claims that tomato is still a fruit. Well, that’s his opinion. I’ll respect it.

No comments:

 


ss_blog_claim=8e9242aeb465823bbe844c3af4799d9b